Tuesday, May 11, 2010

My Thoughts On Mother's Day

This is a post that I've been meaning to write for quite awhile now...but I was afraid to.  Seeing as how this past Sunday was Mother's Day I thought it was a good time.

Today I'm going to talk a little about my mom.  I don't know a whole lot about my mom's childhood, I don't really know her parents that well, and honestly if most of her siblings walked into my office and slapped me right now I wouldn't recognize them.  I have about a decade worth of memories of my mom, a handful of stories that others have shared with me, and a few pictures.  In other words this post may not be the most historically accurate...but historical accuracy isn't really the point today.

When I was a kid I absolutely adored and idolized my mom.  She was such an amazing woman, I know I'll never possess the words to accurately describe her.  I can remember wanting to be just like her.  I always wanted to be right where she was...I probably annoyed the piss out of her following her around the way I did.  But to know my mom was to love her.  She was such a beautiful person, inside and out.  She was smart, funny, talented, outgoing, and stylish...so basically the complete opposite of me.  She could walk into a room full of strangers and walk out with a whole new circle of friends.  I have never been like that, I am generally pretty shy unless I feel really comfortable with people.  It takes me awhile to trust people enough to open up and let them in.  She was also very crafty.  I think maybe this is one reason why I want to learn to sew so badly.  Maybe part of me wants to feel like I was like her in at least some small way.  Because let's face it, I will never have the style thing down...I do good to get out of the house with an outfit that even matches.

When I think about her I recall her always laughing and happy.  This is probably where my historical accuracy is way off kilter because my mom committed suicide when I was a kid.  I've spent a lot of time being angry with her, and I've spent a lot of time defending her.  I have days that I get so mad that I could cry...and I have days that I am overjoyed to have had the short amount of time with her that I did get.  I suppose this inner struggle will continue forever...but no matter what, I will always remember how she made me feel like I was the most important person in the world. 

Obviously depression runs in my family.  My mom's dad committed suicide, my mom committed suicide, and I have attempted to commit suicide....twice.  You would think that after seeing how what my own mother did that I would not be so selfish, and I would not want to do the same thing to the people that care about me.  I've turned this thought over in my mind so many times that I can't even being to count them.  I've spent a bit of time in a mental health facility (that was no vacation), and I've been to numerous counselor/psychiatrist types.  What did I learn from all of this?  Pretty much nothing.  I seem to always get really pissed off at these "experts" and generally don't see them more than a handful of times.  I've had doctors tell me everything from, "it's your mom's fault" to "you wouldn't have these issues if you weren't gay".  My response?  "Ok, you fucking jackass, I have a question for you now.  How many straight patients do you see daily?  Because obviously straight people are the picture of mental health".  But I digress.

Back to my mom.  Do I think that I am the way I am because of my mom?  Hell, I don't know.  Do I blame my mom?  Nope.  I am an adult, I am reasonably intelligent, and I am completely capable of making my own decisions.  The choices I have made are my own.  In a previous post I talked about a worry angel that I received while I was in the hospital.  That particular trip to the ER was the direct result of me taking a couple of bottles of tylenol...I seriously don't know how my liver pulled through that one.  In that post I said that it reminded me to be the heroine of my story, and not the victim.  My mom allowed herself to be the victim of her story...and that is the ultimate tragedy.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh alicia i love every word of this. its so honest and open and obviously heartfelt. im so glad you were brave enough to write about it today.

as i was reading this i thought about your worry angel and was wondering if it was related to a suicide attempt.

it sounds like youve seen some really shitty mental health professionals. i hope you havent totally given up on them. im sure theres a great one out there who you could get answers from. or at the very least, some understanding.

(as a side note to this, mothers day for me this year was really hard because of my strong negative feelings for my own mom. i tried to avoid a lot of the blog world over the weekend because it seemed as if everyone was talking about their moms and how great they are. it was hard.)i imagine mothers day is always really hard for you.

R.H. Ducky said...

thank you tammie, i'm glad you enjoyed it. this was difficult for me to write...i've been trying since sunday and i just couldn't seem to get my thoughts together. actually i find writing about anything of a serious nature hard to write. i finally decided to just publish it the way it is or it would just sit in my drafts for all eternity.

i bet mother's day was hard for you this year. it is always hard for me...but in your case, the negative stuff is still so fresh, i've at least had a few decades to deal with my feelings. my heart goes out to you.

thanks again for the comment...and for your friendship. as always, i think you're amazing.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Alicia this was the most beautiful post.

Now I understand why you told me you were angry. I get it. And you know angry is okay to feel as long as you feel all the other emotions too.

I'm sorry you saw such shitty therapists. I hope you don't give up on them. It took me a few before the right one came along. It's sort of like dating. :-)

And your worry angel story also brought me to tear. Jeez I've been crying all damn day woman! What a wonderful person/nurse you had. Isn't it great that someone touched you like that? You will pay it forward I know.

And you're right you will be the heroine of your story and not the victim. You are far to smart, pretty and witty to go any other way! (yes I've seen your facebook photo's)

I'm glad you had your mom for a little while. I understand more than you know.
Big Ducky Hugs-
M.

R.H. Ducky said...

thanks peggy :) sorry i made you cry though. glad you understand about the whole anger thing now.

haha, i like how you compare finding a therapist to dating. i never really thought of it that way, but you're totally right.

i'm trying to be the heroine. i slip at times...but overall i think i'm doing alright. i've never really thought of myself as smart or pretty...witty maybe. but thank you!

i think i am lucky to have known my mom even if only for a little while. and i know you understand...if you ever want to talk about it i am around. thank you again.

ducky hugs right back at ya!

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Ms. Ducky - you can't be witty without being smart. Dumb folks sure aren't funny - well you can laugh AT them but you don't usually laugh with them. They don't make funnies!
You have to be smart to be quick, witty and funny so don't sell yourself short like that or others will too.

Am I gonna have to play mom here?
:-)

Anonymous said...

I love how honest you are about personal topics. I love that you aren't afraid to tell the truth. I miss you.
xoxo
Cousin It
P.S. Grace is going to be wearing some of your retro lookin' baby clothes this summer. I'll take good care of them tho---just in case you need em later.

R.H. Ducky said...

peggy: lol i'm not saying i'm dumb...i'm just no super genius ;)

cousin it: i find it easier to be honest and tell the truth on here. i miss you too. and you'll have to take some pics of little grace in the retro outfits...i can't wait to see her in them! love you all bunches.