Thursday, November 19, 2009

Little House On The Prairie?

Nope.  Too many pine trees around here to be a prairie.  As a matter of fact we have like 467 of the 'em in our front and back yards alone.  Ok, so for those of you who haven't noticed I might exaggerate numbers a teeny tiny bit.  Our house is pretty little though, so I guess that part fits.  But from here on out I'm going to refer to our home as "the little hut in the rut".  And just to clarify, when I say our or we, I really mean Adam...you know, since he's the one who actually bought it and all.  I just live there. 

So the house is tiny and older, and oddly shaped.  But in defense of our house, all of the houses in our neighborhood are oddly shaped...we live near a lake and I guess they were going for some summery, vacationy, cottagey, something or other.  I have no clue what the technical architectural term for the style of house we live in is...so I'm gonna stick with odd.

Judging by the carpet and linoleum that was in the house at the time of purchase, I'm going to estimate that the hut was built circa 1973.  There have been some improvements made.  All of the walls have been repainted except for my bedroom (because I can't decided on a color), we redid the all of the flooring downstairs (that's a fun story), and some new appliances/fixtures have been purchased and installed.  So the hut looks much better than it did pre-purchase...but it's still in a rut.  Things that are necessary are starting to break.  There's an issue with the shower, the windows are basically just pneumonia holes that need to be resealed (or whatever you do to windows to make them not leak cold air into the house), and most recently our heater decided to stop working.

The heater issue is what prompted me to write about the hut in the first place.  It took me a long effing time to get around to the point huh?  The other day when I got home from work the house was ridiculously cold...but you have to bear in mind that I'm really cold natured and anytime the temperature dips below like 60° I'm convinced that I'm going to freeze to death.  Adam is really hot natured so in the summer the AC is running full blast, and in the winter the heater doesn't get much of a workout.  Well Adam actually got a little chilly on that particular evening so he turned the thermostat up a bit, and it didn't take us long to realize that cold air was blowing from the vents.  Not cool...well actually it was too cool, but you know what I mean.  At this point Adam decided that he should climb up into the attic crawlspace and take a look at things. 

Adam is not handy...at all...I was pretty terrified by the fact that he was crawling up a metal ladder to fiddle around with electrical stuff.  My job was to hold the ladder steady and hand him tools, and I must say I excelled at that task.  Nobody died, there weren't even any minor injuries...astounding.  But the heater still wasn't working.  Adam's dad came out to take a look at things yesterday after work (which was super sweet because he lives like an hour and half away), he is pretty handy.  But the heater still isn't working.  Hopefully we can get someone to come check it out this weekend.  You know, before hypothermia sets in. 

Until then I am going to wear 7 layers of clothes, wrap up in a blanket, and drink lots of vodka.

No comments: