Monday, November 30, 2009

Over The River And Through The Woods

I had a pretty nontraditional Thanksgiving this year.  I'm accustomed to being either at my family's or whoever I happen to be dating's family or with Munky's family.  This year I was at home alone, and ate some crockpot chili (which was excellent by the way...I would give out a recipe but I don't think me throwing random shit in the crockpot constitutes a recipe).  So, I know that probably sounds kind of sad...and in a way I did miss the whole Thanksgiving thing...but really it was ok.  I got some reading done, I watched a few movies that Adam thinks are "stupid", caught up on laundry, cleaned the house a bit, watched some of the random stuff that has been sitting on the DVR waiting patiently to be viewed, and I played some Wii.  So all in all I had a good day.  Friday evening my grandma called me, the conversation went something like this:

Me:  hello?

Grandma:  sissy? (don't laugh she's called me that all my life)

Me:  hey big dog (you can laugh at that)

Grandma:  so why didn't you come to Thanksgiving little pup (yeah, she's awesome like that)

Me:  umm, I technically wasn't invited and didn't know where ya'll were getting together

Grandma:  aww fiddlesticks you know you don't need an invitation

Me:  so where did ya'll do Thanksgiving?

Grandma:  oh, we all just went out to eat

*so I'm wondering at this point if my grandma thinks I'm psychic and I was just going to magically show up at said restaurant with no invitation
**then the conversation was just normal catching up stuff, so we're going to skip ahead

Grandma:  did you go shopping today, it's Black Friday ya know

Me:  I wanted to go buy a sewing machine, but after thinking about it I decided I didn't want to fight the crowds.  You know I hate shopping.

Grandma:  I didn't go either.  But if you want a sewing machine you can have your mama's, I have it here.  Why don't you come up here and pick it up...I'll bet you'll be just like your mama, you can probably make anything you want on it.  (yep, she got me with promises of a sewing machine and the skillful use of my complete worship of my mom...my grandma is a sneaky one)

I really was trying to avoid the whole family thing this year (that's a long story), but I did end up going to see my grandma yesterday.  It was really nice to see her, I really should try to go visit more often.  Oh, but I still don't have a sewing machine...apparently my other grandma (in Georgia) actually has it.  I guess I'm going to have to go shopping after all.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

your grandmother sounds like a hoot.

and really, your Thanksgiving doesnt sound all that bad. the older i get, the more i enjoy my own company. by the time im 80 im sure ill be a shut in with 30 cats.

Anonymous said...

oh i almost forgot:

Q: Why do penguins carry fish in their beaks?

A: Because they haven't got any pockets.

Anonymous said...

Fiddlesticks? Are you shitting me? God, I wish she talked so sweet to me.

I love you--you should've come here.
--Cousin It

R.H. Ducky said...

Tammie: the penguin jokes still make me giggle. here's one, well two, for you...

Q: what do you call a deer with no eyes?
A: no eye deer
and
Q: what do you call a deer with no eyes and no legs?
A: still no eye deer

Cousin It: i know you've heard her say fiddlesticks!
love you too...i'm going over there to see you really soon.