Monday, September 28, 2009

Birthday Wish

OMG, I have issues...and that's an understatement.  I can't figure out why but I always seem to fall for straight women.  Of course this generally does not end well for me.  Here's an example:

I had been dating this woman for the past couple of months who identified as being straight.  I'm not even joking.  Logic would dictate that she's either a lesbian or bi-sexual or bi-curious at the least...but nope, she says she's straight.  Ok, fine. Who am I to argue?  I'm thinking this really should have been a red flag that our relationship wasn't going to work out.  Did I see the red flag?  Of course I did.  Did I care?  Of course I didn't.  Well, I suppose I did care, but I suppose I'm also a hopeless romantic (or idiot) and I really thought that love would conquer all and we might just live happily ever after.  Ok, so maybe I am an idiot.  Whatever.  Needless to say we didn't live happily ever after.  She seems perfectly ok with this, but I am heartbroken.  Again.
Ok, I told you that story so I could tell you this story.  Late last week Straight Girl sent me a text message asking what my plans were for Saturday.  I told her that I didn't have any plans.  She then asked me if she could come over and spend the day with me because even though we are no longer dating she really wanted to give me my birthday gifts.  I was ecstatic....because I'm an idiot. 
So anyway, Saturday rolls around and she shows up at my door a little before noon.  Things were going smoothly, she seemed as happy to see me as I was to see her.  Almost immediately she made me open my gifts because she wanted to go to a nearby town to grab some lunch and wander around some of the antique stores and whatnot.  Her gifts were so thoughtful and sweet that I literally cried...and I don't cry often.  We had lunch at this cute little cafe that was adorably perfect.  Walked around downtown, and really just had a fabulous afternoon.  Then we go back to my place.  I was super excited about a movie that she had bought me (one of my childhood favorites that I hadn't seen in years and couldn't find anywhere), and she said she would like to stay and watch it with me.  Great!  So there was cuddling and movie watching.  After the movie she said she should be headed home, so she gathered up her stuff and I walked her outside.
At this point I made an attempt at a goodnight kiss...because I'm an idiot.  This was not well received.  It was promptly stated that we weren't getting back together.  I was confused, I was embarrassed, and I was a little sad.  She left and that left me wondering what the hell had just happened.  We texted back and forth a bit, but I'm still just as confused as ever.  Apparently, she wanted me to have a nice birthday (which was sweet), but in an effort to make that happen she really led me on (not so sweet).  In summary, birthday #32 is really close to the best birthday I've ever had...but it's also really close to being one of the worst.

When I blow out my birthday candles tonight I think I am going to wish that straight women everywhere will refrain from hitting on me....because I am just idiotic enough to try to date them.

2 comments:

Kim said...

A bittersweet day in your life turned into a really great story that you told very well. Shame on Straight Girl for sending you mixed messages and then acting like she didn't realize she was doing it.

R.H. Ducky said...

Thanks Kim. Oddly enough Straight Girl texted me two nights ago and said, "are you just never going to talk to me again?". I just don't get it.