Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Fashionably Late

My drive to work is looooong.  And thanks to my commute, I get to listen to an abundance of morning radio which provides me with a wealth of knowledge and wisdom.

This morning, for example, I learned a new phrase:  late in life lesbian...no really, I'm not making that up.  Actresses such as Kelly McGillis and Meredith Baxter have recently come out of the proverbial closet and apparently someone has coined yet another new term.  (therapists everywhere rejoice)  Also I just learned about author Susan Gabriel who wrote and self-published a novel, Seeking Sara Summers, which is based loosely on her own experiences with coming out late in life.  I'm pretty sure that one is going on my "to-read" shelf over at Goodreads.  I think it would be fascinating to sit down with some of these women and just chat about this whole late in life lesbian thing.  Then again I pretty much find anyone's "coming out story" fascinating, no matter at what age it happened.  Hmm, actually I think I just like hearing any stories about people's lives....whether they know it or not, people in general are pretty damned interesting.
 
But anyway, all of this makes me happy.  Not necessarily because there a few more lesbians in the world, but because I wasn't late.  You see, I'm pretty much late to everything.  But not this time...nuh uh, I was an early(ish) in life lesbian.




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i find peoples "coming out" stories to be fascinating as well and i think you're on to something: people doing their everyday people things are simply interesting.

on the one hand im totally happy for these women because they've finally reached a level of self acceptance where they are comfortable being honest about themselves, but it also makes me sad that they wasted so many years hiding and being uncomfortable. life is too fucking short.
(not judging these gals by the way-i know nothing of what they went through, just pissed that it had to be that way.)

R.H. Ducky said...

hmm, maybe i'll tell my coming out story one of these days. it's mildly entertaining...well parts of it anyway. and YES people are definitely interesting.

i agree with you that it's sad. but looking back, i came dangerously close to marrying a man and doing the exact same thing these women did. i had a moment of insanity where i thought it would be easier to just do what was expected of me. i'm really glad i didn't ultimately choose that path...it wouldn't have been fair to me, or to him.